I dunno…..Fail?

August 1, 2008

Gadget, Lauren

Lloyd and I are both going into work tomorrow, because *sigh* school’s starting back up and there’s stuff to do, y’know?  However, it was 9:00 and I was going to go to bed but I had no post material.  In a fit of stupidity I thought, “Well, how ’bout I try to make a light box quick?  How hard could it actually be?”  A little Googling, a little scavenging, and I tried this:

Ok, K-Mart, you are a treasure trove.

The box is one of several bins that I got out of a K-mart dumpster when it was going out of business.  The lamps from….. well, I don’t know. College?  Anyway, they didn’t work. I can’t get the left one to clamp anywhere so it shines through the side, and I’m sick of trying.  I’ll keep you updated later.

Curious to make your own?  Let me know how it goes and give me some tips, eh?  I’ve wasted enough time on thiss – it’s off to bed.

11 Responses to “I dunno…..Fail?”

Perhaps it’s your subject.
    I mean, really, how good can you make a can of catfood look anyway?

2. Annette Said on:

Maybe it did work. Where’s the second picture? You know, the one that will make us all ask, “What kind of camera did you use? What settings do you have to put it on to achieve the right look?”

3. Curt Said on:

Looks good to me but did you add water and some fertilizer? That might help it grow.

4. Curt Said on:

Wait a minute, it might be quicker to heat up that can of cat food in the microwave or the oven. Just a thought.

Oh by the way, what happened to Laurenburg? I haven’t seen it in a long time.

Ha!! Although I have shared many of your same thoughts along the way, I have never thought before going to bed “Wait, I think I’ll make a quick light box.” That cracks me up! Hahahaha …

6. Kitt Said on:

I’ve been meaning to make a lightbox since I do so much cooking at night. It means I either have a crappy photo of the dish or I have to wait until morning for a decent daylit shot. (Today’s ricotta tort is a case in point.)

Yours looks like it should work, aside from the clamping problem.

There’s another version here: http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent/

I can’t believe I didn’t comment. I was wasting spending time on the computer this morning, when I suddenly noticed I had a half hour to get showered and get to church to work at the Compassion Center. D’oh! Would putting a light box next to my computer with a clock in it help me keep better track of time?

8. Mark Said on:

I got my idea from strobist. They make one out of a cardboard box and tissue paper, but I used white trash bags instead.

They say to use some crappy cardboard box you find in your basement, so now mine is almost destroyed.