How am I supposed to compete with an elephant?

How am I supposed to compete with an elephant?

January 28, 2010

Lloyd

Lloyd got a haircut.

I’ll give you a moment to recover from your shock.

He didn’t do it for me, mind you – he did it for his other love, Ron Paul. See, there’s a Republican Party meeting in McCook on Saturday and he didn’t want his fellow conservatives to mistake him for some long-haired hippie freak. (He’s a delegate, as you might remember.)

I’m most excited about spending Saturday morning in the booming metropolis that is McCook! Apparently my grandpa was pastor there for a while, so I’ll have to scout out the surroundings. (Dad, any recommendations?) If nothing else, they have a Dollar General.

Ok, back to the hair. The problem with this haircut is that the middle schoolers at Lloyd’s school have been raising money to help Haiti victims, and if they reached $1000 they could do something to his hair. He needed shorter hair for Saturday, but still wanted to keep it a little long for the kids. I suggested he go to a hair place at the mall and explain his quandary – cut it a little, but still leave it kinda longish. She didn’t quite understand, and cut it too short.

Any suggestions about what they should do to his shiny new hair?

13 Responses to “How am I supposed to compete with an elephant?”

I just got a phone call yesterday inviting me to see Ron Paul in Washington. I even got a secret discount code that would cut the price in half. Only eighty dollars! The only problem is: I’d have to miss a day of school.

Hmmm… school or Ron Paul? …school or Ron Paul?

I liked his crew cut that one time. I’ll be at LL on Tuesday, I think I’ll corner a middle schooler and let him know…

3. Brady G. Said on:

Lloyd getting a hair cut for you is like me shaving for Lark. Not going to happen. However, if my principal says it looks like I need to shave, done. If Ron Paul is coming to town, done.

Do the MS’ers get to cut…or just decorate? I personally would like to see what a perm would look like on an already curly head.

And if the crew cut doesn’t win…I say mohawk.

5. Curt Said on:

I have the same problem. I mainly use the phrases “take a little off the top and sides” or “trim it up a little bit”, “give it a good trimmin” and I get the same haircut. Maybe I should try “shave it”. I wonder what would happen.

Tell Ron Paul hi for me.

6. Rae Said on:

I’m thinking a crew, then dyed maybe purple or red or something, with the beard to match! Or, depending on LL’s colors -- the hair one color and the beard the other.

I have a “no color” clause in the contract. They’ll be voting on it this afternoon.

• Peggy Said on:

BTW: I forgot to mention how so very AWESOME it is for you to do this! Way to go Lloyd!!

(Will you share the results of the vote?)

7. Mark Said on:

Way to go, Lloyd! Love that clean cut look, brudda.

Lauren, granddad wasn’t the pastor in McCook (you’re thinking of Scottsbluff). He was born near McCook, so you’ll be close to the family homestead which is near a place called Ash Creek. You could drive out to see the little white church.

McCook is a pretty nice little town, kind of like Seward but without a university. Have fun!

8. Rachel in Cali Said on:

middle schoolers and your hair?? better remove the “no color” clause, make it a “temporary color clause”. long enough to do a Sanjaya-hawk?

9. Amy Said on:

You could let it grow out again… at least a little… or dye it *hehe