So, I had one big project for this weekend – working on a video for my parents (shhh – don’t tell them) – but I kept getting sidetracked. The house is a wreck, and I had a few mini-projects spring up unexpectedly.
The first was getting out my wedding dress. I read last year’s post where it said that we were going to go to the movies wearing wedding attire. Well, there was no time for a movie, but there’s always time for getting out the dress!
I started to open the box and Lloyd said, “Really? In the kitchen?” There was a mess everywhere, but I didn’t care.
My mom had this thing put away by professionals – it was all sealed up with acid-free tissue paper carefully packed in and around it. Apparently, though, it was put away with a big ol’ stain on the belly, or else I spilled coffee on myself at the reception and didn’t notice. I was thrilled to see the spot, though, because now it didn’t matter! I could get anything on it and it was fine, because it already had a stain!
It made for the perfect opportunity for photos like this:
I also decided to cross ‘Make a Wedding Cake’ off my list since it seemed like a good time.
First of all, I’m a big quitter. If something isn’t going right, I’m not about to put more effort into getting better at it. I baked up some cinnamon swirl cake (Lloyd’s flavor choice) in some old cans, started to put on the ‘crumb coat’ of frosting, and immediately realized that this was going to go badly. I don’t have the patience, ability or fine motor skills for cake decorating. I was really flummoxed, though, because I watch cake-decorating shows on t.v. all the time and figured it would be simple-dimple.
Um, no no no.
Leveling a cake is hard. (They make tools for that, but I knew not to invest.)
Putting fondant on is hard.
Making fondant roses is hard, and I didn’t think it would be. I make play-dough roses all the time at school, but the fondant wouldn’t stick together for me. (I was too lazy to read the directions.) I gave up and started to just frost it with frosting. As I was slapping stuff on the first cake I cracked up because I was starting to look like every cartoon cake I’ve ever drawn.
Saddened by the failure of the roses, I just started squirting frosting on top, and it looked a little like a dress bottom. I went for a ridiculous frosting bride with a Muppet face, and Beth came over later and made a fondantman groom.
They’ll be very happy together, I believe.
In closing, I doubt that I will ever try this again, though I’d like to learn how to make frosting roses – that would be cool. It’s crossed off the list, though, even if it’s not successful.