Little Love on the Prairie

Little Love on the Prairie

July 26, 2011

Uncategorized

Brad and Mark brought up Little House on the Prairie and my deep love of it for the rest of my life as a child.

Oh, how I loved that show! And the books! And the books about the show! I loved everything about it – the clothes, the lanterns, the churning of butter and such. (Have you read Farmer Boy? You will never read better descriptions of food. ever.) I blame Garth Williams and his crazy addictive drawings. The drawings, words (and the t.v. show) whisked me away to a rich, rich inner world of imagination.

During my kindergarten/first grade years I had a long dress with flowers and lace ribbons that I wanted to wear every moment of every day, and also as a nightgown. Where is that dress? I should have it made into a pillow.

I have a hazy memory of going to some magical place with my family one summer (Silver Dollar City?) and buying a bonnet. Are you hearing me, people? A genuine bonnet! I also believe that this is where one of my two lanterns was purchased. Y’know, I don’t know what the deal was with my parents, but I was never allowed to put fuel in those. I think they started my pyromania by not allowing me to set things on fire as a child. That makes sense, right?

Oh, to be a child again and long to live in a wood cabin – the mind of youth blissfully unaware that there is no way that cabin is air-conditioned. *sigh*

13 Responses to “Little Love on the Prairie”

1. Gretchen Said on:

I’m with you. I just love Laura, Mary, Ma, Pa, baby Carrie, Jack the dog…Good stuff.

LHOTP was one of the shows that came on after school on weekdays. That and Gilligan’s Island and Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. Good times…

3. Christina Said on:

It was cooler back then…..they didn’t need the a/c!

I love LHOTP too! And I still watch it….it comes on everyday on the Hallmark chanel at 5pm, 6pm, & 7pm. Three different episodes every day!

I also have a first edition Little House on the Prairie book. My cousin gave it to me one Christmas. She found it at a yard sale. It’s date is 1935. It’s kind of tattered….but I don’t mind. I like that it was well read.

I’ve researched the real people to compare to the show, and I’m sad that the real Mary never married (but did go blind). There was also no Albert in their real life. 🙁

I never wanted to wear the clothes, but I do love the cabin & the lanterns!

I cried when they demolished the little house. That was a sad day.

6. Jill Said on:

I had (ok, still have) a huge crush on Almonzo. Ahh…that smile…swoon!

• Peggy Said on:

Did you know that in real life, Almonzo was 10 years older than Laura…which in that day, it was a bigger deal.

I had a crush on Pa. He’s my ideal man.

7. joenardo Said on:

good info thank you

8. Mark Said on:

Spell check: Shouldn’t the title read “Little Love on the Prairie”?

Oh, it’s been fun welcoming Joanna to the Little House world. She was Laura one year for Halloween. We had a friend make a real bonnet for her. An old bucket was her lunch pail, and it held all of her goodies. We put a bandana around Max, our dog, so he became Jack.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. HBB | LloydAndLauren.com - October 27, 2011

[…] It was very festive, with presents and cake and everything, and the birthday girl was very gracious with her ‘Thank You’s and appreciative smiles. She (and sister Macy) scored big with homemade bonnets and aprons from Gretchen! Little Lauren from Long Ago almost burst forth from my psyche and stole them. […]