The Failure Story

December 12, 2019


So, we ordered some new plates for school a while back. The old ones were at least 20 years old and when we had blueberries, it took a round of Oxyclean to remove the stains, and even then, they weren’t ‘clean’ then. The new ones are nice and smooth, but are quite deep.

A month or so ago I told our cook that I thought a pull-out shelf would make plate management easier. I had even gone so far as to buy a couple of drawer glides so I could make the shelf. Wednesday, I decided to just do it. I found a piece of old cabinet in the basement that would do just dandy and set to work!

The above piece was going to attach to the middle shelf to slide out.

But….. the glided had to be taken apart, and that was difficult. The two pieces had to be lined up correctly, though they were attached separately. Erm……

When it was time to attach the two shelves (not in the cabinet, of course), things went badly. I tried forcing the fit and bent the innards of one of the slides. I wisely decided to chuck the whole things and went about my merry way.

Embrace the failures! 🙂

About Lauren

Lauren Sommerer is a preschool teacher who likes to build prototypes, grow cats, cook things once, save money, reduce, reuse and recycle.

View all posts by Lauren

2 Responses to “The Failure Story”

  1. Brad Said on:

    Sheesh! Just reading that made me feel frustrated. I’m glad it wasn’t me. Those plates would be all smashed up in a pile and the cabinet would be on fire.


    • Rachel Said on:

      …And the tree would be pushed over, and the tools thrown down the really long hallway… Now we can all feel better.


Leave a Reply